Monero Means Money is distributed by rCryptoCurrency LLC (now Monero Space LLC). 100% of the net revenue from the film was given to independent theaters, including Laemmle Theaters in Los Angeles, California and Tampa Theatre in Tampa, Florida.
Dr. Daniel Kim gives a deep-dive summary of the technical, economic, and social aspects of fiat, Bitcoin, and Monero from 2008 to the present day. In keeping with 36C3 CDC’s theme of “Respect My Privacy,” this talk emphasizes features of cryptocurrencies and asset protection structures that are important to those early adopters who value their privacy.
Monero is cash for a connected world. It’s fast, private, and secure. With Monero, you are your own bank. You can spend safely, knowing that others cannot see your balances or track your activity. Monero is a decentralized cryptocurrency, meaning it is secure digital cash operated by a network of users. Transactions are confirmed by distributed consensus and then immutably recorded on the blockchain.
Third-parties do not need to be trusted to keep your Monero safe. Monero uses ring signatures, ring confidential transactions, and stealth addresses to obfuscate the origins, amounts, and destinations of all transactions. Monero provides all the benefits of a decentralized cryptocurrency, without any of the typical privacy concessions. Transactions on the Monero blockchain cannot be linked to a particular user or real-world identity.
Take the next step!
Were you inspired by the film? Excellent! Here are a few steps you can take to get more involved:
Learn more about Monero at https://getmonero.org.
Join the Community Workgroup Meetings.
Check out the Monero code on Github.
Learn more about Sweetwater Digital Asset Consulting (not a sponsor of this film).
- Friday 12/27/2019: Dr. Daniel Kim speaks at the Critical Decentralisation Cluster
- Friday 4/3/2020: Idea conceived; Monero Film Workgroup assembled
- Tuesday 4/7: Draft screener completed
- Thursday 4/9: Added to IMDB
- Friday 4/10: Premiered at Laemmle Theaters
- Monday 4/13: Listed on The Numbers as the #1 weekend US box office
- Tuesday 4/14: Started showing at Tampa Theatre as a part of their LIMELIGHT expert speaker series
- Friday 4/17: Shown to an empty audience at Parkway Theater & Film Lounge
- Monday 4/20: Became the #1 cryptocurrency documentary on IMDB
- Tuesday 4/21: Decrypt article
- Tuesday 4/21: Bumped down to #2 for the weekend of April 10, 2020 by Phoenix, Oregon
- Wednesday 4/22: CoinDesk mention in article
- Friday 4/24: Vice article
- Sunday 4/26: Cointelegraph article
- Friday 5/1: Film released for free